Sights and Attractions

 

AUNE’S FLOWER GARDEN

Located sixteen kilometres south of Juuka. There are signs leading you to the garden starting from Nunnanlahti along Highway 6, four kilometres from the garden. The garden comprises over 2.000 perennial plants and varieties, approx. 100 rose species, and various shrubs, broad-leaved trees and conifers.

Opening hours:

  • June 20 - September 3: Mon-Fri 10am - 4pm, Sat 10am - 2pm
 

CAFE, BAKERY AND STORE - KIVIKYLÄN HERKKU KYLÄPUOTI

Carelian pies and other traditional delicacies are offered at this cosy cafe-bakery-store in the village of Nunnanlahti.

There are 20 seats in the cafe, and 36 additional seats at the terrace in summer time. Hamburgers and barbeque are offered at summer. There are also handicrafts of many artisans for sale.

Further information:

Tel. +358 50 361 4730, https://fi-fi.facebook.com/KivikylanHerkkuKylapuoti

There is also a Tulikivi-Restaurant on the other side of the main road with 100 seats and a delicious, home-cooked lunch. Coffee, tea and pastries are also offered. An auditorium can be booked in advance. Events for companies and families are arranged on request.

Further information:

Tel. + 358 20 763 6500, https://www.facebook.com/tulikiviravintola/ 

 

CERAMICS EXHIBITION AND SHOP SINIKAN SAVIKAMARI

Exhibition and shop Mustikkapaikka with unique ceramics, lamps, candle pots and fountains.

Address:

  • Paalasmaantie 120, 83900 Juuka

Further information:

 

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE OF KESKI-VUOKKO

In Keski-Vuokko, cultural landscapes have been restored by repairing old stone walls surrounding properties, clearing the riverside and building traditional roundpole fences. The ecumenical culture of the area is vividly present in the Orthodox prayer house (tsasouna) dedicated to the Holy Cross of Pyötikkö as well as in the Fishermen’s Orthodox prayer house of Keski-Vuokko.

Opening hours for the Fishermen's Orthodox prayer house: 9am-9pm every day.

Further information Mr. Kalevi Nekkonen, tel. +358 400 795 741.

 

FINNISH STONE CENTRE

The Finnish Stone Centre offers a variety of experiences from the world of stone. In its modern facilities you can learn about stone from the diverse viewpoints of science, art and construction.

The Geo Knowledge Centre on the ground floor familiarises you with stone from seven different perspectives. The Stone Centre’s upper floor houses annually changing exhibitions. The stone shop is the place to buy unique souvenirs, such as jewellery, ceramics and stone gifts and utensils. The Finnish Stone Centre also has a stone-testing laboratory, a stone park and rooms for meetings and educational purposes. Next to the Stone Centre there are a café-restaurant, the Soapstone Museum, and Tulikivi fireplace display.

 

Closed 6.6. - 31.8.2017

 

 

Further information:

Address:

 

JUUKA CHURCH

The church was built in 1850-1851. It is designed by architect C. A. Gustavsson and has 800 seats. The altarpiece is Kaarlo Kiljander’s copy (1885) of A. von Becker’s painting “Christ on the Cross”, which was destroyed in a fire. 

Opening hours:

  • June 1 - August 15: Mon-Thu 9am - 4pm, Fri 9am - 2pm
 

JUUKA MUNICIPAL LIBRARY

Juuka Library is designed by Arkkitehtitoimisto Kaj Michael Oy. It was completed in June 1993. The building’s exterior is dominated by massive soapstone columns, so-called stone pencils on each side of the main entrance. Inside the library there is a work of art, “Juuan Elli”, which is made of glass by students of the University of Art and Design Helsinki. Hanging from the ceiling, the work depicts the life of a woman.

The library’s collection comprises about 50.000 books and 60 newspapers and magazines for children, young people and adults alike. The newspapers and magazines can also be borrowed.

In the library there are several computers with Internet access, which can be used free of charge. In the “tower” of the library there is a room for researchers, which can be reserved and used free of charge, upon agreement also outside library’s opening hours. The equipment of the room include a computer and a microfilm reader.

The library also has an exhibition room, which has been used to organise various exhibitions. If you are interested in displaying your works in Juuka Library, please contact the library by telephone (+358 40 104 2470).

Opening hours:

  • Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm
 

KARULA ART GARDEN - SCULPTOR KAUKO KORTELAINEN

In sculptor Kauko Kortelainen’s atelier and art garden the artist’s diverse works are displayed. The collections consist of stone, wood and bronze sculptures, canvases, watercolours, drawings and reliefs. 

Enquiries:

Address:

Further information:

 

KOLI

Located in the city of Lieksa, Koli is nowadays the most popular tourist attraction in North Karelia, and it has drawn tourists for over a hundred years already.

Due to Koli's proximity to Juuka it is a perfect day trip destination for people visiting Juuka. It takes only about half an hour to reach Koli by car.

Koli’s summit lies 347 metres above sea level, which makes Koli the highest peak in North Karelia. However, there is more to Koli than its height. There are the vast Lake Pielinen with its numerous islands heaving on the base of the hill range, other tree-covered hills near and far looming on the horizon, forests continuing farther than the eye can see, and the beauty of varying surface shapes; thanks to all this Koli is one of the unique national landscapes of Finland.

Throughout the ages people have been impressed by the striking ruggedness of Koli, but surprisingly, the hill range was inhabited later than the neighbouring areas. Although this landscape on western coast of Lake Pielinen was marked on the map of Käkisalmi province drawn as early as in 1650, its old name Mustarinta (Blackchest) refers to pagan elves rather than to human inhabitants. Both lore and historical sources suggest that Koli was indeed ruled by elves, who affected significantly the lives and destinies of the inhabitants of the neighbouring areas. People from all over Karelia came to appease the elves. Koli is also regarded as a former settlement of Sami people and as a former place for enforcing sentences.

The views from Koli, the remains of the ancient mountain chain Karelides, have been admired and portrayed by many Finnish artists and composers, the most famous visitors being painter Eero Järnefelt and composer Jean Sibelius with their respective spouses. A reminder of their trips is Järnefelt’s writing in Pirunkirkko, one of Koli’s most well-known caves: “One secret, one life; one source of happiness, is this church for both of them; its holiness shall always be remembered – Eero and Fanni 1893”.

 

KOLINPORTTI

Kolinportti is a versatile service station along Highway 6. It is located at the intersection of the Highway and the road leading to Koli approx. 9 km from Koli village and 27 km from Juuka centre. Kolinportti’s services include a petrol station, a restaurant and a cash machine. There are also a grocery store, a gift and souvenir shop, a seller of home-made bakery products and a Runeberg sweet shop.

The Kolinportti building itself is also worth seeing. Its architecture and shapes have caught interest of many experts from Finland and abroad. After its completion,  Kolinportti was also noted in foreign magazines in the field.

 

MILL MUSEUM

The Mill Museum is located along Herralankoski Rapids close to Puu-Juuka, the old wood-built town quarter. In the museum you can familiarise yourself with the function of an old mill and visit a miller’s cottage, a granary and a smoke sauna. The idyllic museum premises were restored in 2014.

Opening hours:

June 21-August 14, 2016: Tue-Fri 10am-4pm, Sun 1pm-4pm, Sat and Mon closed.

 

MUNICIPAL MUSEUM

This Municipal Museum’s collection comprises old local artefacts displayed in a fascinating granary dating from 1825. The museum premises also include a shed with two furnished apartments.

Opening hours:

  • June 21 - August 14: Tue-Fri 10am - 4pm, Sun 1pm - 4pm. Closed on Saturdays and Mondays.
 

MUSEUM TUOMELAN TUPA

Tuomelan Tupa is located in Ahmovaara village in Juuka. It is the former home of the poet Viljo Tuomela (born Matti Hyttinen, 1895-1977).

Opening hours:

  • July 3 - July 10 Tue-Fri 10am-4pm, Sun 10am-4pm, Sat and Mon closed.
 

PAALASMAA

Paalasmaa Archipelago consists of three islands that are located in the middle of Lake Pielinen. The main island of Paalasmaa is the highest island in Finland (225.2 m). On the highest peak of the island there is an observation tower, which was built by local volunteers. From the tower you can admire Lake Pielinen and North Karelian tree-covered hill sceneries as far as Koli. You can access the islands by car ferry, which operates between the mainland and Hirvisaari Island. The other islands are connected with causeways. In addition to tourists, the beautiful nature of Paalasmaa has drawn film-makers. For example the Finnish film Joensuun Elli was shot in 2003 in Paalasmaa.

Accommodation in holiday cottages and on a caravan site in the beautiful landscapes of Paalasmaa is offered by Paalasmaa Camping and several other entrepreneurs, such as Tommonlahden loma. Moreover, there are nature trails on the main island of Paalasmaa. For further information about the trails, please ask Paalasmaa Camping or Tommonlahden loma.

 

PUU-JUUKA

Puu-Juuka, the wood-built quarter, is the old centre of the town. This triangle-shaped area is bordered by two main roads and Juuanjoki River. Puu-Juuka epitomises the old Finnish building tradition. The types of buildings found in Puu-Juuka are no longer being built, which makes it a unique place to visit.

There was a village by Juuanjoki River, where the present town of Juuka is located, as early as in the 16th century. By the end of the 19th century the settlement was concentrated along the main road and the first businesses were started. The oldest surviving buildings in this area date from the late 19th or the early 20th century, the youngest from the 1960s.

Among these buildings there are residential, commercial and public buildings. There are many interesting details in these buildings, such as pediments, decorative window frames and cornice consoles. The true cultural-historical value, however, becomes from the area and its buildings as a whole.

The area of Puu-Juuka also includes a small and romantic bridge, Haaveiden silta (Bridge of Dreams) over Herralankoski Rapids in Juuanjoki River. Moreover, there are an old, restored timber slide and a playground for children.

Other attractions in Puu-Juuka include the Mill Museum, Vikilä Art Houses and Taitokartano, a place where local entrepreneurs practice their professions.

The association Pielisen-Karjalan oppaat organises guided tours in Puu-Juuka. For further information, please contact Kaija Mattila tel. +358 40 737 9747.

Puu-Juuka yhdistys ry (Puu-Juuka registered association) is a supporter of preserving and developing Puu-Juuka. The chair of the association is Esa Pakarinen, tel. +358 50 400 5939. 

 

VIKILÄ ART HOUSES

Exhibitions display works of painters, sculptors, potters, glass artists and icon painters. The collections also include traditional handicrafts made of birch bark, shingles, wood, willow, stone and wrought iron as well as textiles and antiques. Books, photos, music and postcards from Juuka are for sale.

Address:

  • Vanhatie 4 and 6 in Puu-Juuka

Opening hours:

  • June: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm
  • July: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat 10am-2pm
  • August: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Further information:

 

Juuan kunta

Juuan kunnantalo

Avoinna ma-pe klo 9-15
Poikolantie 1, 83900 Juuka 
P. 040 104 2000
Fax. (013) 472 123


PUHELINLUETTELO »
YHTEYSTIEDOT »
YHTEYDENOTTOLOMAKE »

Etsitkö näitä?


Kartat

Matkailuinfo


Kirjasto